1. Moisturizer – simply scoop some out of the jar and apply all over your body, including neck and face. I've used coconut oil, alone, as a moisturizer and it works very well. However, I am in love with my shea butter body moisturizer. I use 1/2 cup of coconut oil in my shea butter body moisturizer. Click here for the recipe. Shea Butter Body Moisturizer
2. Eye cream: apply under the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags, and wrinkles. Use on the lids in the evening.
3. Pre-shave: coconut oil will prep skin for the pending damage caused by shaving. I applied coconut oil to wet skin, prior to shaving. My skin was smooth and felt very moisturized. Just be careful because your bathtub with be slippery.
5. Deodorant: coconut oil alone can be used as a deodorant, but even more effective in combination with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and baking soda. Click the link for my homemade deodorant recipe. Natural deoderant recipe
6. Hair Conditioner/Deep Treatment - use as a leave in hair conditioner by applying a teaspoon of coconut oil to your ends and then running your fingers through your hair to distribute the rest! I use coconut oil for a deep conditioning treatment. I apply about one (1) ounce of coconut oil onto dry hair and scalp. Gently work through to the ends. Put a shower cap on to prevent transfer onto bedding and leave on overnight. I follow up in the morning with a shampoo and a leave-in conditioner. I did this consistently for about 6 months and it really strengthened my hair. It has also helped me manage my hair during the transition from relaxed to natural.
7. Hair Gel/Defrizzer: rub a little between your palms and either scrunch into hair (for curly hair) or finger comb in through from scalp to ends (for wavy/straight hair). I use coconut oil in my daily hair care routine. It helps to seal in moisture and it leaves my hair soft but not weighed down nor oily.
10. Chapstick – just rub a little into lips and it not only acts as a softening agent but it also has an SPF of about 4 so you get a little protection too! Coconut oil moisturizes your lips very well. I used coconut oil in my homemade lip balm recipe. Click here for the recipe. Homemade Natural Lip Balm
11. Massage Oil – pretty simple; grab some and rub! For an added treat, don't forget to warm it up a bit. The scent alone is so relaxing.
12. Sunscreen. Alone, coconut oil has an SPF of about 4.
13. Stretch Mark Cream: coconut oil is great at nourishing damaged skin. It may not be the magic stretch mark cure but it will help.
14. Nipple Cream (for nursing moms): nourishes cracked, sore, or dry nipples. Apply to a cotton ball and leave on your nipples between feedings.
15. Diaper salve – very comforting on a rashy bum with no harsh chemicals. Also safe for cloth diapers.
16. Cradle cap – having issues with dry skin on your baby’s scalp? Coconut oil will not only nourish your baby’s skin, it also helps eliminate cradle cap. Just rub a teaspoon onto scalp daily.
17. Body scrub – mix coconut oil and sugar together and rub all over! Rinse off and your skin will be super soft! You can add in essential oils if you would like a specific smell. I am working on a recipe for a homemade sugar scrub, using coconut oil. Stay tuned!!!
19. Bug Bites – when applied directly to a bug bite, coconut oil can stop the itching and burning sensation as well as hasten the healing process.
20. Skin problems – coconut oil relieves skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema. I use coconut oil in my shea butter skin moisturizer. I love it!!!
I hope you found this information helpful. What are your uses for coconut oil? I'd love to hear from you. God bless!