February 10, 2014

Living Natural, Product 8: Natural Homemade Lip Balm



I am super excited about this product!!!!

Last summer, when I purchased beeswax to make homemade deodorant, I noticed that one of its more common uses (besides candle making) was for making lip balm.  So after much prayer and research, I've put together a recipe for homemade lip balm. These are fun, easy to make and are awesome gifts.
 

Key-lime and Lemon Essential Oil

 Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Beeswax
20-30 drops Essential oil, I used lemon, vanilla, sweet orange, key-lime, & peppermint
(Note: Do not use any type of alcohol based flavoring or extract, the heat will evaporate the alcohol and the flavor)
1 tablespoon Shea butter
1 tablespoon Coconut oil
1 tablespoon Sweet Almond oil
1/2 tablespoon Vitamin E oil
Empty lip balm tubes and jars
Pot
Glass measuring cup or jar

Lip balm tubs (on the right), lip balm jar (left)
 

 
Ingredients purchase links:
 
Beeswax: purchased from amazon.com Beeswax
 
Essential oil: I purchased the sweet orange and lemon from Sprouts and Whole Foods respectively. I purchased the vanilla and lime essential oils from  amazon.com. Essential Oils
 
The actual company's name is Edens Garden. You can also purchase directly from them at www.edensgarden. They have a huge variety of essential oils that are reasonably priced. They also ship quickly. I placed my order on 2/2/2014; my oils arrived 2/6/2014.
 
Empty lip balm tubes: purchased  through amazon.com. Clear Lip balm tubes
This site that sells lip balm packaging. Lip balm containers. I ordered the black clear daisy lip balm set. I can't wait to get them!!
 
Empty lip balm jars: I purchased this 24 pack of plastic jars from Michaels. They were $9.99; I had a 40% off coupon and, on top of that, I had one (1) day only coupon for an extra 20% off (I love it when God blesses me with sales like that!). I ended up paying $5.17 for 24, which works out to .22 cents each.
 
Okay, now that you know where to purchase everything, lets get to the fun part!
 

 
Natural Homemade Lip Balm
 
1. Place about 2.5 cups of water in the pot on high heat.
 
2. We are going to melt the ingredients using the double boiler method. Place a glass container or bowl into the pot of boiling water. I used a glass measuring cup.

 
 












3. Add the beeswax to the glass bowl or container. It is best to melt the beeswax first because it has the highest melting point, thus it will take the longest to melt. Stir until the beewax is completely melted.
















4. Add the shea butter next, I used a knife to scoop out 1 tablespoon. Stir until it has completely melted.















5. Add in the coconut oil, sweet almond oil and vitamin E oil. Stir until all the oils are completely mixed together. Your lip balm base is done! Now it's time to have some fun with flavoring!!!


 
6. Prepare your lip balm containers because once you remove the lip balm base from the heat and begin pouring, it will begin to harden quickly. I placed a piece of wax paper on top of a cutting board to catch any spills or overflows.


7. I poured 1/2 of the lip balm base into another glass jar because I made several different flavors. I placed that glass jar (with 1/2 of the base) in the pot of hot water to keep the ingredients liquid.

If you are only making one (1) flavor, skip  step 7 and add 35-40 drops of the essential oil of your choice, skip step 8.  Pour the lip balm into your storage containers. I placed some in the lip balm tubes and some in the plastic jars.
 
8. With the other 1/2 of the balm base, I removed a small amount, added 10-15 drops of the essential oil of my choice, stirred, then poured it into a container. I repeated this until I'd used all the lip balm base. I got creative and made several different flavors. I used a sharpee to label the lids on the jars and the tops of the lip balm tubes.
 
9. Allow the lip balm to set for about 20 minutes.
 
While the lip balm is setting, clean the glass mixing bowls before the balm hardens. Soak the bowls in boiling hot water (I just use the water from the pot that I used to melt my ingredients) and soap for about 10 minutes, then wash them thoroughly.

10.  Place the caps on the tubes and the lids on the jars.....that's it! Natural homemade lip balm! Enjoy!



This recipe filled four (4) lip balm containers and three (3) jar containers. In the tubes (from left to right): Sweet orange, Raspberry, Vanilla, Lemon/Key-lime. Since the vanilla essential oil tends to settle, I tried to get creative make a swirl design in the jar but it did not turn out quite right. Oh well!!


I also found this natural flavoring at Hobby Lobby. I purchased the raspberry flavor; however, I gave it away, so I have not tried  myself. I will and report on it in future blog. I did notice that, while it did dissolve, the lip balm ended up having some red streaks in it. The lip balm; however, does NOT give any type of color to the lips; it is completely clear.   The company LorAnn Oils, states that almost all of their food products are certified kosher, sugar-free and gluten-free. These flavorings are very concentrated, so a little goes a long way. One (1) package contained two (2) .125 ounce bottles for $3.49. I used a 40% off coupon and the price was $2.09 plus tax. Michaels also sells them for $2.99. I suggest purchasing them from the website because there you can find every flavor under the sun, whereas the stores have less of a selection. Be sure to order the super strength flavors because they are soluble in water and don't contain alcohol. Again, if you use any type of alcohol based flavoring or an extract, the heat will evaporate the alcohol and the flavor.


These lip balms are very moisturizing and nourishing to your lips. Plus, they are fun to make!! You can get so creative and make your own unique flavors. Some other ideas are sweet orange essential oil  mixed with lime essential oil, rosemary essential oil mixed with mandarin orange essential oil or use some natural honey and then add lemon essential oil for a honey-lemon flavor. Experiment!!!!! Okay the science teacher in me is coming out again and I am looking forward to experimenting even more! This is the first batch I've made; I gave most of them to my friends to bless them and for them to try.  Based on their comments, I will most likely tweek some things in the next batch, to make them even better! There is always room for improvement right? :-) I promise to do an update/follow up blog in the future.
 

Benefits:

1. The coconut oil moisturizes your lips and has an SPF of about 4. So you get a little sun protection.

2. Shea butter is an excellent moisturizer.

3. The beeswax holds the balm together and prevents the coconut oil from melting. Plain coconut oil melts at 76 degrees. Beeswax is very moisturizing, helps retain moisture, and can help protect your lips from the harmful rays of the sun. Since beeswax is a natural product, it is less likely to irritate your skin.
 
4. Essential oil is for flavor. Essential oils are all natural as well.

5. Vitamin E oil is a great moisturizer.

6. Sweet almond oil is nourishing and also an excellent moisturizer.

7. These are cheaper than store bought lip balms and you know exactly what is in them. The ingredients cost a little up front; however, they will last a long time.

8. Bragging rights!! :-)

I am looking forward to hearing your comments about this product. Look for updates in future blogs as I experiment with different flavors. Stay tuned because I will be using these a gifts during an upcoming give away!!

I also post these blog links on my Facebook ministry page: Foot of the Cross Ministries Facebook Page.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment