January 23, 2014

Living Natural, Products 3 and 4: Toothpaste & Mouthwash

I've been making my own toothpaste since 2011. I was inspired by a very Godly, sweet sister at church who is a true Proverbs 31 woman. She makes everything and uses natural herbs in her daily regimen. In 2012, I started using peroxide as a mouthwash. I did not like the taste but it whitened my teeth very well. Then God said "add some essential oil". I did and BAM, flavored mouthwash. These two recipes are super simple to make...about 5 minutes total for both!

Natural Toothpaste

Ingredients:

Baking Soda
Peroxide
Peppermint or spearmint essential oil (I purchase mine at Whole Foods or Sprouts; I've also seen them at Vitamin Shoppe)
Mixing bowl
Measuring cup
Spoon for stirring
Storage container
 
                     
 
1. Measure about 1 cup of baking soda into a bowl.

2. Add enough peroxide to form a paste and mix well. You want it thick but not too thick nor do you want it to be runny. You want the toothpaste to almost be able to stand up on your toothbrush. Have your toothbrush nearby so you can test the consistency.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3. Add the essential oil of your choice and mix well. Essential oils are pretty strong, so start off with a little. You can always add more later. Personally, I add about 35-40 drops because I like a strong, almost overpowering, flavor.

4. Put a top on the container and that is it! Just dip your wet toothbrush in the toothpaste when you are ready to brush your teeth.
 
NOTE: I got this tip from a sister at church. If you have several people in your household, use baby food jars, labeled with each person's name, to store the toothpaste. If you don't have baby food jars, you can use 4 ounce mason jars or a small container like this.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I make my toothpaste in large quantities, so I mix and store mine in a large container. This is a restaurant carry out soup container.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Natural Mouthwash

Ingredients:

Hydrogen peroxide
Tea tree or spearmint essential oil
Storage container (see photo below for example)

1. Pour the hydrogen peroxide into a container. I use the 8 ounce bottle pictured below.

2. Add the essential oil of your choice. I use about 30-40 drops because, again, I like a strong flavor.

3. Shake to mix and you are done!

I use this storage container, which I purchased for about $2.00 at the beauty supply store. The applicator tip allows me to dispense the mouthwash easily. I put a little in my mouth and rinse with it while I am showering then I brush my teeth. Be careful not to swallow it though!




















Benefits:
 
1. Baking soda is an ingredient in a lot of toothpastes. Baking soda whitens and cleans your teeth. Since you are using pure baking soda, you reap the benefits of toothpastes with baking soda in them, but without the other chemicals.
 
2. Hydrogen peroxide is another ingredient in a lot of toothpastes. It is excellent for whitening your teeth. It also kills germs and bacteria, so it is great for fresh breath. So, again, skip the chemicals and go for pure peroxide.
 
3. The essential oils adds a nice, natural flavor. I just started using the spearmint during Christmas 2013. I like it and I find the flavor is stronger than the peppermint. I am going to also try using cinnamon essential oil (I will report on that after I try it).
 
4. Did I mention the cost? Baking soda is .40-.60 cents per box, peroxide is about $.88 for a large bottle and the essential oil is about $6.00 (for a small bottle) or $15.00 for a large bottle. However, a large bottle of essential peppermint oil lasted me about 1 year.
 
Some people add sweet and low to mask the taste of the baking soda. I tried this but, sweet and low has aspartame in it which is not good for you. The essential oil is healthier and provides a nicer flavor.

I get compliments all the time about how white my teeth are. So give this a try and don't forget to tell me how it works for you. Stay tuned for product #5.......

May God bless you and keep you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment