January 31, 2014

Living Natural, Product 5: Natural Deoderant




















So far we've discussed body wash/skin cleanser, skin moisturizer, facial toner/astringent, toothpaste and mouthwash. Moving on down to the armpits (LOL), let's make some natural deodorant.

Most commercial deodorants and anti-perspirants are contain aluminum. Anti-perspirants prevent you from sweating. Now I am going to put on my Science Teacher hat again for just a moment. Our skin or integumentary system, is the largest organ in our body, so we must take good care of it to prevent illness and diseases. Sweating is necessary for your body to rid itself of toxins. If you are not perspiring and allowing your body to detoxify and cleanse itself, aluminum toxicity can occur. Aluminum toxicity can lead to health problems, including cancer.  Okay, I'm putting my teacher hat away now......

These homemade deodorant recipes do not prevent you from sweating; however, they will prevent odor. I am going to show you two different versions: one for sensitive skin and one for normal skin. Both can be made in cream or solid form. Ready? Let's do it!

Ingredients:

Extra virgin coconut oil
Baking soda
Arrowroot powder (I get mine at Sprouts), you can also use cornstarch but I think the arrowroot powder is more natural
Tea tree essential oil
Vitamin E oil
Lavender essential oil (optional)
4oz mason jar (to store the cream version)
If you do the solid version, you will need :
Beeswax, which I ordered from amazon.com. Beeswax
The beeswax raises the melting temperature of the deodorant to 120 degrees. Plain coconut oil melts at 76 degrees.
Stick deodorant container. I ordered mine from amazon.com. Empty Deoderant Containers
You can also clean out an old empty deodorant container and use that.

  
The Sensitive Skin Formula (cream version)
2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
10-15 drops tea tree oil (I tend to use more but that is just me!)
1-1.5 teaspoons vitamin e oil
1. Combine the baking soda and arrowroot powder in a bowl. Mix well.
2. Add in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and stir. Add more coconut oil, up to 2 tablespoons total, until the consistency of the deodorant is smooth. The consistency you want will resemble that of icing.
  

















3. Add in the vitamin e oil.
4. Add about 10-20 drops of tea tree oil and the lavender oil or any other essential oil of your choice.
5. Mix well and transfer to the mason jar for storage.
To apply, I use a small spatula like the one below. The coconut oil remains in a soft or semi-liquid state at 76 degrees or higher. If your deodorant becomes solid, just run the container under warm water. Or you can just use your spatula or fingers to apply and your body heat will soften the deodorant.

     



















___________________________________________________________________________________
The Sensitive Skin Formula (solid version)
2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
10-15 drops tea tree oil (I tend to use more but that is just me!)
1-1.5 teaspoons vitamin e oil
1-1.5 tablespoons beeswax
Empty deodorant container
Glass bowl to mix ingredients in
1. Melt the beeswax in the microwave.
2. Combine the baking soda and arrowroot powder in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Add in  the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and stir.
4. Add in the vitamin e oil.
5. Add about 10-20 drops of tea tree oil and the lavender oil. You may also add any other essential oil of your choice. Mix well.
6. Add in the melted beeswax and mix well.
7. As the mixture cools, it will begin to solidify. This is when you want to transfer the mixture into an empty deodorant container. This is why I find that a glass bowl works well for me. The glass will cool the mixture quickly enough so that you can pour it into an empty deodorant container, without melting the deodorant container because the mixture was too hot.
8. Allow the deodorant to set for a few hours; overnight is better.




















__________________________________________________________________________________

For the normal skin formulas, you will follow the same steps; however, the ratios of your ingredients will be different. I've listed the amounts of each ingredient below. For the cream formula, you will need a larger container to store it in. For the solid version, you will need two empty deodorant containers.


The Normal Skin Formula (cream version)

5-6 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
10-15 drops tea tree oil
1-2 teaspoons vitamin e oil
8 ounce mason jar or (2) 4 ounce mason jars


The Normal Skin Formula (solid version)

5 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
10-15 drops tea tree oil
1-2 teaspoons vitamin e oil
2 tablespoons beeswax
2 Empty deodorant containers

The first time I made this deodorant, I was so excited! I made the normal skin formula and it worked great for about a week. After a week, my armpits turned brown; however through shaving, my armpits returned to their normal color. My skin was noticeably smoother too. Sadly, about a week later, I developed a nasty, terrible rash. So I did some more research and learned that some people have a sensitivity to baking soda. So, after prayer and research, I found another recipe that uses less baking soda. Success! Praise GOD!

I use only the sensitive skin formula now. I have both the cream and solid on hand. Both work excellent for me. I've never experienced any type of odor and perspiring is minimal, even in the summertime. I live in the south and summer temperatures can be in the 100s plus high humidity!

Benefits:

1. The coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties and moisturizes the skin.

2. Tea tree essential oil kills bacteria that can cause odor.

3. Lavender essential oil adds a nice scent.

4. Baking soda absorbs moisture and helps keep you dry, but still allowing your skin the breathe and sweat.

5. Arrowroot powder is a thickener and also helps absorb moisture.

6. A 4 ounce jar of the cream deodorant lasts me a over one month. The only ingredient that costs a little more, up front, are the essential oils. But, with the essential oils, a little goes a long way. I get arrowroot powder at Sprouts for .47 cents a pound. 2 pounds can make about 4 batches of the cream sensitive skin formula.

I purchased a one (1) pound  bag of beeswax for $18.00. I gave half of the bag away to a friend and still have enough to make at least for 8 more batches of the solid formula. If you are looking to really save money, I'd recommend the cream formula.

What do you think? Let me know how you like it. Stay tuned for the next product......

As always, may God continue to bless you....  

No comments:

Post a Comment