January 14, 2014

Living Natural, Product 2: Astringent/Facial Toner

In my first living natural blog post, I discussed facial and skin cleanser (click here to see post titled "Living Natural...Let's Begin"). The second blog was a recipe for an awesome shea butter skin moisturizer (click here to see post titled "Shea Butter Body Moisturizer").

So drum roll please....the second natural recipe is for astringent or facial toner. I found this recipe in 2011 and I have been using it ever since. You only need 4 simple ingredients which you probably have in your pantry or bathroom.


Astringent/Facial Toner

Ingredients:
 
Witch Hazel
Apple Cider Vinegar
Tee tree essential oil (available at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Vitamin Shoppe, or online. I purchased mine at Whole Foods)
Green tea (plain green tea, do not use any type of flavored tea)
Storage bottle
Measuring cup




 
 













You will use equal parts of the all the ingredients with the exception of the tea tree oil. I make mine in big quantities, so I use 8 ounces of each. However, you may choose to use 4 ounces of each or even 3 ounces of each. Just make sure it is equal parts.
 
1. Brew 1 or 2 tea bags in 8 ounces of hot water. I tend to brew mine for about 20 minutes. Allow the tea to cool.
 
2. While the tea is brewing and cooling, combine 8 ounces of witch hazel with 8 ounces of apple cider vinegar and shake to mix. I use the large container pictured below.

3. Add the cooled green tea.

4. Add in 20 or so drops of tea tree oil. The tea tree oil is strong so start off with less,  you can always add more later if you like.

5. Shake to mix and that's it!

6. After cleansing your face, give your dispenser a quick shake, squeeze enough astringent to saturate a cotton ball, then apply to your face. Make sure you apply using an upward motion. Using a downward motion, over time, can cause your skin to sag. At times if I am experiencing breakouts, I will just apply, without cleansing, to remove excess oil.
 
 









 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
I saved an old astringent bottle (pictured on the right) to store it in, but you can use any container that you like that will dispense the product easily. I purchased a large container, like the one on the left, from the Dollar Tree. I mix and store the toner in here until I am ready to refill my smaller container. A large container, it will last me about 3-4 months, give or take. In the summer time, I tend to shower more frequently. I live in the south where it is in the 100s in the summer, so I use it more than once daily.                  

 
Benefits:
 
1. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants which are great for your skin. Antioxidants reduce inflammation.
 
2. The tea tree oil kills bacteria, so for those who struggle with breakouts, the tea tree oil will help to kill bacteria and help to reduce breakouts/acne.
 
3. The apple cider vinegar detoxifies the skin, heals blemishes, and can reduces/minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
 
4. Witch hazel helps control blemishes and also helps to tighten skin reduce under eye bags. The witch hazel also removes any dirt, oil, or makeup that may have escaped the cleansing process.
 
As you use this product, you may find that you need to adjust the amounts of each ingredient, depending on your skin's specific needs.
 
Please let me know what you think! Stay tuned for the next product....any guesses? God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment