January 9, 2014

Living Natural, Product 1: Shea Butter Body Moisturizer

My first blog talked about cleansing the face and body (see blog post titled "Living Natural...Let's Begin"). Now, we need to moisturize the body and keep our skin healthy. Well say bye bye to "chemical laden lotions with stuff you can't pronounce" and say hello to Shea Butter Skin Moisturizer.

Now I am going to speak as a Science Teacher for just a moment. The skin or integumentary system, is the largest organ in our body, so we must take good care of it to prevent infection and disease. Your skin the first line of defense for your body. Think about when you get a cut or scrape. You have layers of skin that prevents those germs from entering your body. Your skin cells go into action to create new skin as part of the healing process. Your skin also protects your internal organs, bones, muscles, etc. If you take good care of your skin, your skin will take good care of you. Okay, I am taking my teacher hat off....

I am in love with this moisturizer! I started using it in summer 2013. My skin is so soft and smooth. I used to have dark spots on my knees, those have disappeared. Even my knees and elbows are smooth. I used to get ugly brown bumps on my elbows, I have had no more breakouts since using this moisturizer. I recently began using this moisturizer on my face, so I will report in a month or so about how it is working. And the best part is, you know exactly what is it and you can pronounce each ingredient! So without further delay, here is the recipe.


Shea Butter Body Moisturizer

Ingredients:

8-10 ounces Shea butter, I get mine at the beauty supply store, I get the chunky shea butter because it is easier to break apart.
 






 












Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin coconut oil
Vegetable glycerin
Apricot oil
Almond oil
Macadamia nut oil (I get mine at the beauty supply store)
Castor oil
Jojoba oil
Vitamin E oil
Spatula
Large bowl to mix ingredients in
Hand mixer or immersion blender
 
 
From left to right: extra virgin olive oil (it is in the clear container because I use it in my hair as well), jojoba oil, almond oil, vitamin E oil (on top of the almond oil), castor oil and vegetable glycerine. I ran out of the macadamia nut and apricot oil, so they are not pictured here.  The coconut oil is also not pictured.                         
 
 
 
 
I purchased the  almond oil, castor oil, and vegetable glycerin from Whole Foods. I purchased the extra olive oil at Walmart. I purchased the jojoba oil and the extra virgin coconut oil at the Vitamin Shoppe. I use coconut oil in my hair care routine, so when the Vitamin Shoppe has their buy one get one half off every April and September, I stock up. 


 1. Place the shea butter in a large bowl. DO NOT HEAT THE SHEA BUTTER OR THE OILS. Heat depletes the shea butter of it's nutritional properties. Save the container that the shea butter came in to store the finished product or you can use the container of your choice.
 
NOTE: If your coconut oil is in a solid state, that is fine. You will be blending later anyway.
 
2. Add 1/8 cup of each oil. I tend to use 1/2 cup of coconut oil because it is my favorite.

3. Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, mix all the ingredients together until smooth. This may take longer if you are using a hand mixer.

4. Your finished product will look something like this. It is very creamy and soft on the skin.


This is a photo of some moisturizer that I had made. I wanted to show you the consistency.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is another view. Please excuse my fingerprint marks!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Transfer the mixture back into the empty container that the shea butter came in. Make sure you store it with the lid on it.

After showering, apply this to damp skin to seal in the moisture. For extra moisturizing, I will lightly towel dry my skin then apply. Water is a natural moisturizer and this body moisturizer will seal in the water, which gives a little more moisture. 

All of these natural oils have numerous benefits. One thing that they all have in common is that they are excellent skin moisturizers. Almost all of them can be beneficial for those who struggle with dry skin, psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema.  I could do a blog post about each one! But I am going to mention the important points that I found during my research.

Benefits:

1. Jojoba oil is moisturizing and helps reduce skin inflammation. It also increases blood flow, which gives your skin a healthy glow. Jojoba oil is absorbed quickly into the skin. It is effective with reducing the appearance of wrinkles because it has an abundance of Vitamin E, helps to eliminate the free radicals that can cause skin aging.
 
2. Coconut oil has so many benefits. I will be doing a separate blog on the benefits of coconut oil. It is very moisturizing and has mild sunscreen properties. It has an SPF of about 4. Coconut oil helps relieves skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema. Coconut oil can be applied on scrapes and cuts to speed up the healing process. The coconut oil forms a thin, chemical layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and viruses, while it heals.
 
3. Macadamia nut oil, like jojoba oil, is very moisturizing to the skin and absorbs quickly. Macadamia nut oil contains a compound called palmitoleic acid, which is found in human skin. As one ages, the body's production of palmitoleic acid decreases. Macadamia nut oil replaces palmitoleic acid, which helps fight aging and wrinkles and an aged appearance.
 
4. Olive oil is closer in chemical structure to your skin's natural oil than any other natural oil. It is a great moisturizer. Olive oil also helps the skin to remain soft, firm and tone. It can help increase skin elasticity and alleviate stretch marks. The antioxidants help prevent aging. Olive oil helps enhance blood circulation. The healthy fats, vitamin E and other nutrients help to rid the skin of free radicals, thus olive oil can help repair skin damage caused by exposure to the sun.
 
5. Vitamin E is a skin moisturizer that can improve the texture of the skin, help reduce the appearance of scars, stretch marks, lighten dark spots, and help improve skin elasticity by keeping it tight and firm. Vitamin E can soothe minor sunburns. 

6. Almond oil is a rich source of Vitamins A, B, and D; all of these vitamins are excellent for maintaining healthy skin. Almond oil moisturizes the skin, helps maintain proper moisture in the skin, and helps reduce redness, itching and inflammation. It can also help renew skin cells, reverse and prevent aging. Almond oil, when used regularly, can help reduce dark under eye circles.
 
7. Castor oil is a skin moisturizer as well. It contains Vitamin E, minerals, and proteins, as well as anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Castor oil also has anti-inflammatory properties. Castor oil can help to relieve pain associated with arthritis and can be used to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
 
8. Vegetable glycerin helps your skin to maintain it's moisture. It is also a humectant; it pulls in moisture from the air.

9. Apricot oil is very gentle and light on the skin. Therefore, it works great as a moisturizer, skin softener, and as a massage oil. Apricot oil contains Vitamin B17, which helps prevent cancer. Like most of the other natural oils, apricot oil is an anti-inflammatory, so it can aid in reducing pain caused by arthritis. Apricot oil also dehydrates your skin and contains gamma linoleic acid, which helps to firm and tone your skin. It also contains vitamins A and E which slow down the aging process.

10. Shea butter has numerous benefits. It is a moisturizer and it provides protection from the sun and wind. Shea butter can help with eczema, skin rashes, peeling skin, and stretch marks. It also helps to heal wounds and even your skin tone.

The oils are a small investment up front; however, they will last you a long time. I purchased all of mine last summer and, with the exception of the coconut oil that I use on my hair daily, the almond oil is the only one that will need to be replaced soon (and I still probably have at least 8 ounces left in the bottle now).

I've read that you can also use avocado oil, argan oil and grapeseed oil in this body moisturizer; however, I've not tried them yet. All three are very moisturizing to the skin.


You will love it this! Please let me know what you think. God bless...

 

4 comments:

  1. I use a moisturizer like this (minus macadamia oil & glycerin) on Kiana's skin and hair. The more you mix it, the more whipped it becomes. It is wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is!!! I made a new batch yesterday and added some avocado oil. I also increased the olive oil from 1/8 to 1/3 cup because I learned that the olive oil is closer to your skin's natural oil. I use an immersion blender and I love the consistency it give the moisturizer. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete