So far we've discussed body wash/skin cleanser, skin moisturizer, facial toner/astringent, toothpaste and mouthwash. Moving on down to the armpits (LOL), let's make some natural deodorant.
The beeswax raises the melting temperature of the deodorant to 120 degrees. Plain coconut oil melts at 76 degrees.
You can also clean out an old empty deodorant container and use that.
3. Add in the vitamin e oil.
Glass bowl to mix ingredients in
For the normal skin formulas, you will follow the same steps; however, the ratios of your ingredients will be different. I've listed the amounts of each ingredient below. For the cream formula, you will need a larger container to store it in. For the solid version, you will need two empty deodorant containers.
The Normal Skin Formula (cream version)
The Normal Skin Formula (solid version)
5 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
The first time I made this deodorant, I was so excited! I made the normal skin formula and it worked great for about a week. After a week, my armpits turned brown; however through shaving, my armpits returned to their normal color. My skin was noticeably smoother too. Sadly, about a week later, I developed a nasty, terrible rash. So I did some more research and learned that some people have a sensitivity to baking soda. So, after prayer and research, I found another recipe that uses less baking soda. Success! Praise GOD!
I use only the sensitive skin formula now. I have both the cream and solid on hand. Both work excellent for me. I've never experienced any type of odor and perspiring is minimal, even in the summertime. I live in the south and summer temperatures can be in the 100s plus high humidity!
1. The coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties and moisturizes the skin.
2. Tea tree essential oil kills bacteria that can cause odor.
3. Lavender essential oil adds a nice scent.
4. Baking soda absorbs moisture and helps keep you dry, but still allowing your skin the breathe and sweat.
5. Arrowroot powder is a thickener and also helps absorb moisture.
6. A 4 ounce jar of the cream deodorant lasts me a over one month. The only ingredient that costs a little more, up front, are the essential oils. But, with the essential oils, a little goes a long way. I get arrowroot powder at Sprouts for .47 cents a pound. 2 pounds can make about 4 batches of the cream sensitive skin formula.
I purchased a one (1) pound bag of beeswax for $18.00. I gave half of the bag away to a friend and still have enough to make at least for 8 more batches of the solid formula. If you are looking to really save money, I'd recommend the cream formula.
What do you think? Let me know how you like it. Stay tuned for the next product......
As always, may God continue to bless you....