December 30, 2013

A Look Back At 2013....

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year! 2013 has certainly flown by hasn't it? I had big plans for topics to blog about in 2013 but those plans changed....but it is all good! God changed my focus to what he felt was most important....


Ministry Update

In November 2012, I enrolled in the Eagles International Training Institute (EITI). This is an intense one (1) year long program for dance ministers who desire to learn more about the ministry of dance and to become more equipped to preach God's word through movement. I had assignments to submit monthly, which were  usually a minimum of 20 pages in length. As soon as I finished one assignment, I'd take a breath and then prepare to complete the next assignment. This required much of my time; however, I learned so much  about the ministry of dance and received confirmation from God regarding some desires and goals I have related to dance. Ministry school, in addition to my full-time job as a Special Education Teacher, coaching the girl's soccer team at the school where I teach, and ministry at church...whew, I was busy!! BUT by God's grace, I graduated from EITI-Year 1 on Friday, October 11, 2013. I am a Licensed Minister of Dance! To God be ALL THE GLORY!  I am currently enrolled in EITI-Year 2, which focuses on dance choreography. This is my graduation photo from October, 2013.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




I also attended a praise dance conference in Arlington, VA in August. As an outreach, we ministered in North Senate Park, in front of the Capital building! That was fun and a blessing!!



















The Natural Journey....
 
Another journey that began for me this year was changing to more natural products to use for hair and skin care, household cleaning, laundry, etc. I've been striving to become a Proverbs 31 woman; this journey began in 2011, when I began sewing my own clothing and striving for overall self-improvement. That same year, I began making my own face astringent, laundry soap, toothpaste and mouthwash. Praise God, I made tremendous growth in this area this year!
 
The biggest step in this journey, after prayer and research, was making the decision to transition from relaxed to natural hair. I had my last relaxer in June 2012 and I had been struggling with whether or not to get another relaxer. So I began researching the pros and cons of natural hair and how to care for it. Through my research, I learned that natural hair is healthier overall and it is easier for your hair to grow when you are not constantly exposing it to relaxers, chemicals and heating tools. So, no more relaxers! I will be sharing more about my journey in upcoming months....I promise!!!
 
After making the decision about my hair, I began praying about other changes that I could make in order to take better care of God's temple. Well God sure answers prayers! This past summer, I was introduced to castile soap. I had gone swimming at a friend's home and had forgotten my body wash. So I asked to borrow some body wash....instead I was handed some liquid castile soap, which was peppermint scent.  I loved the smell of the soap and how good  and clean my skin felt afterwards. When I read the ingredients, I noticed that everything in castile soap was natural. So I started using the almond scent and peppermint scent for body wash. This sparked me to look for other natural products.  Praise God for the Internet and YouTube (YES, there are GREAT things on YouTube). Now I make the following using all natural ingredients: deodorant, face wash, body butter, shampoo, conditioner/leave in conditioner, hair gel, dish soap, and fabric softener. Not only are the ingredients used in these products natural, but they will save you money. Throughout 2014, I will be sharing the recipes for all these products (and more) and showing you how to make them.
 

Looking Forward to 2014...

I am excited about the direction that I feel God is leading me to take with this blog. The blog will continue to address ministry, praise/liturgical dance, and domestic violence. I will also be blogging about common natural products that can be used for hair and skin care. Other topics will include sewing, modesty, encouragement, Bible study, self-improvement and, overall, living life as a Proverbs 31 woman. We (including me!!) are all a work in progress. I pray this blog will be a blessing to everyone. And I am looking forward to hearing how God is moving in your lives. Happy 2014!

2 comments:

  1. good info! I wish I were diligent to make all of those things...maybe I will get inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! I pray these posts will inspire you................

    ReplyDelete