February 1, 2012

In Memory of Space Shuttle Columbia

February 1, 2003...it was a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning. The skies were blue and the temperature was mild. I'd just finished my morning workout and had taken a shower. As I dressed and prepared for the day, I turned on the TV. As the TV came on, I remembered that space shuttle Columbia was due to land that day. I quickly began searching for the TV channel that would be showing the landing live. After Columbia was safely on the ground, I'd planned to set out for the day in search of a new apartment.

My excitement turned to concern when I noticed that numerous channels were reporting that mission control had lost contact with Columbia. Then I recalled reading something awhile back which stated there is a certain point, during the shuttle's re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, where mission control has no contact for a minute or so. I continued getting dressed and planning my day as the news reports continued. At some point, my concern turned to worry when the new reports stated that mission control had been out of contact with the shuttle for over 15 minutes at this point. I said a quick prayer and began cleaning up before leaving. But 15 minutes turned into 20 minutes, then 30 minutes...Columbia still had not landed. At this point, the housework had stopped and I was glued to the TV but still thinking (and probably trying to convince myself) "ahh all is well, the communication system is probably not working." Surely there is not going to be another shuttle disaster......

Sometime between 9:30am and 10m, the TV proved me to be wrong as they showed a trail of what was space shuttle Columbia, streaking across the Texas sky. Sad and in disbelief, I remember calling my mother and saying "we lost another one".  Just then, my aunt who lives in Georgia called me. She asked me if I was at home and if I was safe, I said "yes". She asked me if I'd heard the news about Columbia, I told her I was watching it at that very moment.  I recall her begging me to stay inside, for fear I'd be in the path of falling debris. I assured her all was well where I was.

I went out that day in search of a new apartment....but with a heavy heart knowing that 7 astronauts lives had just ended. I felt much like I did when I was a 15-year old sophomore in high school, sitting in Biology class....and hearing the news that Challenger had exploded.

Later that day, I was reminded of how diverse the Columbia crew was, much like Challenger's crew. Michael Anderson was African American, Ilan Ramon was the 1st Israeli Astronaut, Kalpana Chalwa was from India.

February 1, 2012, 9 years later.....Columbia crew, we salute you, we thank you, we admire you, we will never forget you. God bless you.


                                                          Space Shuttle Columbia Crew
 
From left to right (back row): David Brown, Laurel Clark, Michael Anderson, Ilan Ramon
From left to right (front row): Rick Husband, Kalpana Chalwa, William McCool


                                            Columbia Crew posing for a photo while in space.


Columbia blasting off on January 16, 2003


                                                       Space Shuttle Columbia Insignia

4 comments:

  1. What a sacrafice. There families are in my prayers! You never forget losing a loved one. Thanks for recognizing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, thanks for reading. True, we never forget losing a loved one. I am sure, 9 years later, it is still difficult for their families. God bless all 7 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered it . My familly and I watched it together . It was the time my familly got together since a long time . This my happinest time . Since before it , we have no longer see each other . I will remember Space Shuttle Columbia forever . There are my memories staied with my parents and brothers .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen....that was such an awful day for their families. We admire and bless them for what they accomplished. I hope and pray that your family is able to get together again soon.

    ReplyDelete