January 31, 2011

Impressions

You never know the type of lasting impression that you will make on another person, either through words or actions…..especially on young children. At times, throughout his life, Jesus did not say much. However, his actions spoke louder than his words.

I live out of state and I only see my family once or twice a year. I have been blessed to be an aunt three (3) times. I have two beautiful nieces, who are 9 and 5, and one adorable nephew who is 2. My nephew was born in 2008 however; unfortunately, I was unable to travel home to visit that year. My nephew was 1 year-old when I met him for the 1st time, which was Thanksgiving 2009. Of course, I fell in love with him the moment I saw him. I visited my family again for Christmas 2009.

Labor Day weekend, 2010, I went home for a Brown family fun weekend. I was blessed to be able to take my family (me, my mom, brother, sister-in-law, nieces and nephew) to the zoo. We spent the day there and had a wonderful time. My nieces and nephew were stuck to me like glue and I relished every minute of hearing their sweet voices saying “Auntie Kathy”. My nephew, who usually sticks close to my mom, wanted to walk next to me and hold my hand. The next day, we went to church together then to an arcade with go-carts, and trampolines. We ended the weekend with a family dinner. During dinner we talked and laughed about the weekends events.

In December, 2010, I received a telephone call from my mother. She excitedly told me that my nephew, who had spent the weekend with her, noticed my picture on her entertainment center. He said “Grandma, there’s Auntie Kathy....she took us to the zoo and I saw the lion….roar!” My mom and I were floored….not only was I surprised that he remembered me, but he remembered the family going to the zoo.

You never know how such an act of kindness, small investment of time, kind gesture, positive comment, or a smile positively affects another person....and leaves a lasting impression. What type of impressions are you making? Is is lasting? Are your actions glorifying God and leaving a positive mark in someone’s life? Remember, from the youngest to the oldest, people always remember how you made them feel. God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we have to always be sure to treat others with kindness. It's God's way! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true....we all need a reminder, including me! God bless!

    ReplyDelete