June 19, 2010

God, Father God, Heavenly Father, Abba Father……Daddy God? Papa God?

Recently, someone commented that referring to God as “Daddy God” was disrespectful. In obedience to the Lord, I am blogging about this. How interesting that Sunday is Father’s Day. God amazes me!

There are so many biblical names for God. The Hebrew names stick out in my mind because of a song that I learned, over 10 years ago, when I used to sing in the choir. Jehovah Jireh refers to God as a provider (Genesis 22). Jehovah Nissi means “the Lord our Banner” (Exodus 17: 8-15). Jehovah Rapha means “the Lord who heals” (Exodus 15: 22-26). Jehovah Shammah means “God with us” (Psalm 23: 6).

I looked in the Bible under “Father”. My Bible defines Father is a “male parent and forebears; characteristic of a mentor or provider relationship; name and role for God in relation to the children he fosters.”

Next, I went to Merriam-Webster.com. The definition of Father means “a man who has begotten children” OR (more importantly) “the first person of the Trinity”. So next I looked up Daddy. Low and behold there was no definition. HOWEVER, the word Father was listed to look up for a definition for Daddy.

So just to satisfy my curiosity, I also looked at Dictonary.com. Daddy is “a diminutive of dad”. Dad means Father. So I looked up Father again. Dictionary.com lists several definitions for Father; I will list the ones that are relevant here: “a male parent”, “a man who exercises paternal care over other persons; paternal protector or provider”, or “the Supreme Being and Creator; God.”

Matthew 6: 9 “After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.”

Matthew 6: 32 “…For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.”

Ephesians 4: 6 “One God and Father of all, who is above all…”

I John 3: 1 “Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God…”

Romans 8: 15 “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”

Think about this, what are a baby’s first words when learning to talk? “Da-Da”. A child soon learns that by saying “Da-Da” it brings their Father close to them (both physically and emotionally); it makes their Father smile and feel proud. What does an older child say? “Daddy”, “Dad, “Papa”, “Father”. Again, this brings their Father close to them. I love how Romans 8: 15 says is...we are God’s children by the spirit of adoption. When we call upon God, there is a feeling of being close to him and being in his presence.

1 Samuel 16: 7 “…..for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

So whether you call him God, Father God, Heavenly Father, Abba Father, or Daddy God.....I even heard a Pastor & a Deacon say refer to God as "Papa God". Dictionary.com listed “Papa” as a synonym for Father. God looks at your heart. God knows your heart. God knows what you mean and how you mean it. Most importantly, God loves to hear from his children and to hear us call upon his name.

Happy Father’s Day Daddy God!!

1 comment: