May 5, 2010

The Lifestyle of a Dance Minister


“If your lifestyle outside of the ministry is not the same as your lifestyle within the ministry, when you dance you are not ministering but just performing.”
The Lord dropped that in my spirit about a year ago. This was during a time when I was crying to the Lord because I’d seen some liturgical dancers, who’s lifestyles outside of the ministry so different, that the only way I knew they were dancers is by their garments. What I saw really disturbed my spirit. At one point, I questioned myself and my lifestyle. I even asked God “am I too much of a Christian.” But the song by Israel Houghton says “I know who I am”. And, it is often said “if you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.” I praised God for assuring me that I was not wrong to feel disturbed in my spirit.

I’ve seen dancers minister for the Lord at 4p.m. and, after ministering while they are removing their dance garments, they are planning their outfits, calling babysitters, and choosing which club to be at by 11p.m….before cover charge. 1 Corinthians 6: 19 says “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” Think about it…you can not glorify God with the same body that you use to minister in dance to dance for the devil in a club. The Bible says in James 1:8 that “a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

Mark 3:25 “and if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.”

Joshua 24: 15 says “and if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Matthew 6: 24 says “no man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other….”

We also must be careful what our eyes see and what our ears hear. I witnessed a situation where a woman, who is a liturgical dancer, shared the video of a birthday party she’d attended. My Jesus!! The party video was full of filthy, vulgar, profane music, women scarcely clothed, explicit and suggestive dancing, people speaking foul language, etc. It was extremely disturbing to my spirit and I could not understand how that type of worldly atmosphere was seen as fun, cute, funny, and exciting to the others who were watching it (who were also dance ministers). This goes for TV, music….and what type of books are you reading? The Bible says, in Philippians 4: 8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

As a dance minister, we must be careful that we reflect Christ in all we do. At home, at work, driving (can I get an amen!), in the grocery store, at the mall, etc. Does this mean be perfect? Of course not! Only Jesus lived a perfect life. What I mean is that your walk with the Lord does not stop when the praise dance garments are taken off. We need to honor the Lord in everything.

We need to have clean hands and a pure heart, especially when in ministry. We want the Lord to use us to change the lives of others. Remember dancers, we do what Pastor’s do, we preach the word, we just use our body through movement to do so. So I encourage you to get alone with God and honestly ask him to reveal some areas of your life where you need help, pruning, and cleansing. The Holy Spirit will reveal them to you. Pray, repent, ask God for strength, move on, and be about your Daddy’s business. God bless!

2 comments: